Monday, December 04, 2006

words

Elsapatience of the Great (and sorrow ridden) House

I have discovered the source of the prince's tears. His mother is dying. They say he expects news of her death any day, a letter arriving at any moment. The poor young man's father abandoned him here at the Great House, left early in the morning nearly a fortnight ago. (With Duke Elderberry went the General and Ariella.) Here the prince is trapped, without even a last goodbye.
Every moment I think of the desparing expression on the prince's face, my heart aches for him. All past desire for retirbution has dissolved. I was thrust into the arena of unwanted attentions without having any business there; now I find I can't get away without ripping away a few fibers from my heart. I didn't ask for this! But it has been cast upon me.
The question is what actions are now required of me: do I play the common silence of the Great House servant, or is more needed?

No comments: