Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Brontë

'Don't talk any more of those days, sir,' I interrupted, furtively dashing away some tears from my eyes; his language was torture to me; for I knew what I must do--and do soon-- and all these reminiscences and these revelations of his feelings only made my work more difficult.
'No, Jane,' he returned: 'what necessity is there to dwell on the Past, when the Present is so much surer-- the Future so much brighter?'
I shuddered to hear the infatuated assertion. 'You see now how the case stands-- do you not?' he continued, 'After a youth and manhood passed in unutterable misery and half in dreary solitude, I have for the first time found what I can truly love--I have found you. You are my sympathy-- my better self-- my good angel-- I am bound to you with a strong attachment. I think you good, gifted, lovely: a fervent, a solemn passion is conceived in my heart; it leans to you, draws you to my centre and spring of life, wraps my existence about you-- and, kindling in pure, powerful flame, fuses you and me in one.'

No comments: