Sunday, March 08, 2009

Wind

In Mass today, Fr. Phil (who says lately people have been calling him "Dr. Phil") spoke about the Transfiguration. He related it to Elijah on the mountaintop waiting for God and finally finding him in a whisper.
I thought about (surprise surprise) being in Ireland. One day in Irish Studies we made our way through muddy cow pastures following a Mass path to the top of Cappanawalla. There at the top, the valley was spread out before us, and the sun and wind were intense. I stood on the edge of the mountain. The wind wasn't harsh, but it was incredibly powerful. If I leaned forward, it could almost support me. And I related that feeling to God. Gentle but powerful; a strong support when you're falling on your face.
Father said at the end of his homily, we will go up the mountain to feel God but we do have to go back down again. To live our lives.
There aren't any mountains here. Sometimes it's harder to feel God's presence.

No comments: