Saturday, July 22, 2006

Just the best


"Do you mean to frighten me, Mr Darcy, by coming in all this state to hear me? Never fear, for my courage always rises with every attempt to intimidate me."

"I know you take great delight in expressing opinions which are not your own."
"Your cousin, Colonel Fitzwilliam, will teach you not to believe a word I say. That is ungenerous of him, is it not?"
"It is indeed, Darcy."
"Impolitic, too, for it provokes me to retaliate and say some of his conduct in Hartfordshire which may shock his relations."
"What have you to accuse him of? I should dearly like to hear how he behaves amongst strangers."
"The first time I saw Mr. Darcy, was at a ball, where he danced only four dances, though men were scarce and more than one lady was without a partner."
"I feel I am ill qualified to recommend myself to strangers."
"Should we ask him why? Why a man of sense and education, who has lived in the world, should feel ill qualified to recommend himself to strangers?"
"I... I have not the talent which others possess in conversing easily with strangers."
"I do not play this instrument, so well as I should like, but I have always assumed that to be my own fault because I would not take the trouble of practicing."
"You are perfectly right. No one who had the pleasure of hearing you would think anything wanting. We... neither of us perform to strangers."
"What are you talking of?! What are you telling?! I must have my share in the conversation!"


"I have been a selfish being all my life. As a child I was given good principles but left to follow them in pride and conceit. And still I might have been, if not for you, dearest, loveliest Elizabeth."

No comments: