Monday, November 27, 2006

words


Elsapatience of the Great House

There she is.
There she lies, facedown on the grass. She has been weeping uncontrollably and would continue, but for her physical exhaustion. One can see the emotional stress rending her entire body and her muscles shuddering with the strain.
What would I do if I wasn't myself? If I were her friend instead of her maid, would I kneel down in the grass and comfort her? Offer my shoulder to cry on and my arms to embrace?
I think that I would. But our different situations distance us and withhold any kind of compassionate assistance I could off her. If I were her equal instead of her maid, I would be her friend at a time when she desperately needs one.
Now all I can do is discretely observe, if only to make certain sure she doesn't hurt herself.

It has been about a month since certain pressures on the princess gradually began to take effect.
Life at the Great House has exploded... or imploded, actually, into chaotic melodrama.
'Tis a far cry from the monotony that my life was before the strange mysterious Albir and his comrades.
I almost prefer the monotony.

Evelyn caught Alphonse red-handed. It offends my sensibilities to go into detail on the matter, of which I know all and from which I have not quite recovered.
Honestly, I've never seen anyone so angry before. It wasn't the yelling, crying, cursing-the-heavens kind of anger that the princess displayed. It was calm, serene, level-headed anger. The shock of the blow she bestowed on Alphonse was all in the deep, decisive hatred positively flaring from her eyes. He was leveled by it. It nearly took off his head.
He cowered behind Albir, weak in the knees and quivering.
Evelyn remained calm and collected, while the hatred in her eyes grew. I believe that hatred shocked Albir as well. It shocked, upset and unsettled him; thus his response was the yelling, cursing anger described above. His rebuttals to Evelyn's accusations were about as worthless as his current state as heir. He is a complete fool. And if there's one thing I can surely say about my character, it is that I don't pass such judgement lightly.
Prince Albir will forever be the bane of my existence. I level curses at his hollow head.


If there is one absolute example of an "intrinsically evil" action, it is the destruction of another's hope and dignity.

Evelyn's father has sided with Albir and Alphonse as well, and told her that she was behaving like an over-emotional child. Her response was that if all men used the same logic and displayed the same behavior as the three whom she had--at one point--loved and respected, then she would vow at that moment never to submit to marriage.
To this, the king did not respond, though he grew very red in the face.

Alphonse continues to cower and quiver like the horse-excrement he is and Prince Albir continues to mumble, glare and curse like the lunatic he ever resembles.

All this whilst Evelyn hides away in the gardens and weeps, if only to save the last shred of dignity she possesses.
And I was born without it, so I have lost nothing.


No comments: