Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Shades of Gray


When developing photos, my mom always insists on color. She hates black and white photos. Apparently this is because she grew up with those boring old black and white photos. This all goes to the familiar ground of the parental guilt trip... and it's true, my generation is spoiled with the whole technology thing.
My mom also claims that I'm a romantic. I guess I am.
This all, supposedly, explains my love of black and white photography. There's just something about it that seems to have more interest. As if the shades of black and white are deeper then hues of color. It all sounds like nonesense, I suppose. But if you sit and you look at a black and white photo... maybe you'll agree with me.
There's a stillness and a contrast represented in those black and white photos... of stopped and frozen time. I guess it is romantic.

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE. -Ernst Haas

No comments: