Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Words


Albir Elderberry of Farwood

Another four hours stuck with Father, uncle and uncle counselors, and it isn't even noon yet. Lord! It takes all my energy just to keep from dozing. Which means, of course, despite all my will power, I've barely taken in an hour's worth of what uncle has had to instruct. It isn't uncle that disgruntles and bores me; it's Father. Every word uncle says Father must stress and lecture upon. Heavens, he drones on! Sometimes I wish uncle would just tell him to shut up, instead of the exasperated looks he gives Father behind his back.
It's been nearly two weeks at the Great House now. I saw cousin Evangeline off on her morning ride. It sounds horridly pathetic, but I am jealous of her. She has no trying duties or obligations to struggle with. Nearly nothing is demanded of her. I long for that freedom. It's ironic how one takes such freedom for granted until it is slowly taken away, piece by unrelenting piece.

No comments: