Saturday, August 19, 2006

Words


Elsapatience of the Great House


Today is my birthday.
Funny to think that I barely noticed it coming. And now I am one year older. What have I to show for it?

Duke Elderberry has the entire staff of the Great House on their toes with preparations for a Grand Reception given on behalf of Prince Albir and his returning health. It is also, so I hear, a show of splendor to welcome (and impress) the General and his daughter.
Tonight I shall watch the crowd congregate in the Grand Hall.

My favorite thing, as I sit atop the balcony stairs of the attic, high above the milling and mingling assembly, is to watch the elegant people through their reflections in the Grand Hall windows. The blurred images represented in the glass create a scene of delicate delusory figures rather than the over-dressed pompous peacocks they all appear in stark reality. Though these lords and ladies do have a very creative taste in color and decoration, I must admit. I wonder what species of bird produced the feathers in some of the most interesting ladies' headdresses.


I do enjoy watching Ariella. She has a sense of humor which I find, despite myself, I admire. She dances with great skill, one can see plainly, but I have caught her once or twice purposely treading upon an undeserving partner's foot. Once she misplaced her elbow.
I suppose one must make one's own fun when one is forced into dull settings.

I confess I have noticed the Prince amongst the confusion of the crowd. I cannot tell whether he is pleased or not. He looks quite stiff. He greets each new comer with a smile and a short conversation.
And as the night wears on, and the candles burn lower and the Hall dims and empties, the Prince stands out more and more in my mind.


I fell asleep on the balcony. I do hope no one missed me.

No comments: