Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Words


Albir Elderberry of Farwood

I decided something must be done.
Visited the library after Uncle retired to bed early. He looked rather ill.
I searched the endless shelves for books on ghosts and poltergeists.
There was only one.
It was thick and heavy and ancient, smelling of mold and thick with dust along the top. Its pages were terribly yellowed.
I read through the interesting parts. Am not quite sure whether the advice it gives is sound or not. But I've decided it's worth a try. In any case, the book explains that ghosts only haunt in order to request help. Unfinished matters and all that. The sooner one discovers what the ghost wants, the sooner one can finish it's unfinished business, and the sooner it will cease haunting. Therefore, the book suggests the victim of the haunting should carry around any article the ghost has left behind, in order to draw its attention and command its presence as often as possible, and thus discover what it needs done.
And so I've taken to wearing the bright blue ribbon tied beneath my belt, where it is slightly exposed.
What fascinating business this all is! It has almost succeeded in helping me pay attention to uncle's lectures. Mayhaps I'll not have to visit the garden so often to escape.

Music in my sleep. But it was different this time. Familiar, almost.

Uncle informs me that General Lauphinstok is arriving (with his daughter) in a fortnight.
Lord I hope she isn't cross-eyed. Or wears rouge. Or snorts when she laughs.

No comments: