Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Words


Elsapatience


Something seems worth mentioning.

But I shall not disclose it to Cook, who would dearly love to hear it, even with the promise not to tell a soul. It seems a very delicate matter to me.

Today I was given the odd duty of preparing the Family's mid-afternoon tea. It was a beautiful afternoon, and especially difficult today to concentrate on one's duties. But it suddenly sparked my concentration, when I realized only Princess Evangeline and her father were present for tea. They were arguing very heatedly. Well, Evangeline looked extremely upset. Her father remained calm and collected, as he always does. She was saying in an agitated, high-pitched hiss that he couldn't possibly force on her the type of men he chose as her suitors. One young man, in particular, she vehemently protested against. She accused her father of constantly hinting an upcoming union between herself and this horrid man. She refused, with quite loud emphasis (she abruptly struck her fist on the table,
nearly making her father flinch) that she would never marry him. She would run away first. King Gerald serenely asked her to calm herself enough to think rationally on the matter. The marriage, he argued, would be beneficial to both parties considered. Tears began to well in the princess' eyes at these words, and she removed from the room, wailing that he would marry his only daughter to a horrible man she hated just to keep the Family well-connected.
I stood by the kitchen door contemplating on the argument I'd just overheard. I looked up quickly as I noticed Prince Albir step into the sitting room. By the look on his face, he had undoubtedly heard the whole of the conversation. And he saw me standing by the door. He caught my eye and positively glowered at me. I hastily removed myself from his most esteemed presence.

I began to feel quite sorry for the princess. Forced to marry a man she hated just to keep her family content? How horrid. I could just imagine such a union and I shuddered to think of it. Here I'd thought the princess, born to such a high status, was also born to a superior freedom. I had been jealous of her for the generous freedom she's been given. But though I'm only a common maid in the Great House, I have been given the awful knowledge of what an arranged marriage may be like. King Gerald can't realize how near he is to putting shackles on his own daughter, by forcing her into marriage.

Albir Elderberry of Farwood


Uncle and Evangeline are at it again. Apparently she is refusing the union Uncle has prepared for her. She positively threw a
fit. I caught a cheeky young maid eaves-dropping on their conversation. This House is so full of gossipers.

No comments: