Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Words


Albir Elderberry of Farwood

I escaped.
Father suggested I accompany Evangeline on her afternoon ride, but I could tell she wanted nothing but to be alone. She's still rather sulky. And I am not much for sympathy. Everyone must make sacrifices for king and country and I know not why she should be an exception.
This sounds rather ungraciously proud, I suppose. But honestly, it is only what I must constantly tell myself when I am trapped beneath uncle's thumb. And I don't mean it disrespectfully either, to be sure. But lord how I wish I could escape. For good.

Father and Mother took me to the seaside once. I was eight years old, but I still remember. It was the most glorious day, cool and bright. And there were the most amazing clouds in the sky. Phillip and I collected shells and flew kites all afternoon.
I want to go back.

I walked to the grove again and found the oak and the swing. Sat down on the swing. I noticed something on the ground by the tree. A white slip of something, caught in the grass. It was a small torn piece of parchment with the words, "music in my sleep" written in a loose, spiky hand. I almost dropped it, remembering quite clearly the girl on the swing and the music I'd heard at night. I looked up, and there, above me, tangled in the branches of the oak, were similar white slips. They stood out quite bright with the sunlight behind them. My breath caught in my throat.
I took off my stockings and boots and resolutely started to climb the tree.
Funny, I remembered climbing trees to be a much simpler task. I had to scramble up the trunk and hang upside-down across a thick branch in order to reach the pieces that clung amongst the leaves.
My leg cramped whilst I was snatching the slips and I fell. I landed on my backside, thank goodness. Though it still smarts.
I read, "remember you", "dark rose", "the swing, the wooden one", "to the seaside", and "dreamt." There were two other slips I couldn't make out, for the words had been torn in half.

I think I'm being haunted.

I found a bright blue ribbon in the gardens.
I'm certain I'm being haunted.

No comments: